I once had the greatest fridge magnet. Every time my eyes happened to catch its poignant message, I was forced to reevaluate my life; my walk with God; my priorities; my witness.
This is what it simply stated:
If you were arrested for being a Christian
would there be enough evidence to convict you?
Hidden behind those convicting words, the following messages followed closely:
- How much do you talk about God in your daily conversation with people?
- Do most of the books that you read have the Lord at the heart of their communication?
- Is the music you listen to mostly God-glorifying or secular?
- Do you walk more in the Spirit or more in the Flesh?
- Do you have a string of broken relationships with people in your life, or does your life reflect peace with those close to you?
- Are the majority of your friends believers, or non-believers?
- Do you regularly attend a congregation and/or fellowship around Bible study, or are book clubs, fundraisers to save dolphins, and scrapbooking get-togethers the extent of your interests?
Some ways to examine yourself
There is nothing wrong with listening to your favourite love song from yesteryear, having some non-believing contacts, or attending a scrapbooking group (that actually sounds like a lot of fun! :-)).
However my beloved reader –
- If God is not visibly at the centre of your life
- If He is not coming up naturally in your conversation
- If He is not the One that you have in common with those around you
- If reading and studying His Word is not right up there on your priority list
I am not convinced that there would be enough evidence to convict you of being a Christian.
Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves.
2 Corinthians 13:5
Evaluation must lead to practical change
It is so easy to look around us, and to examine others. The Bible wisely instructs us to examine ourselves (click here to tweet that).
I’d like to challenge you to use the points stated in this post to take three actions:
- Evaluate your life in practical terms.
- Repent for the ways that you have chosen worldliness over godliness.
- Determine to make some changes that would draw your heart closer to the Lord, and that these would be reflected in your life.
I invite you to share one practical change that you need to make in order to get yourself arrested 🙂
Signing up here and getting a free worship song download could definitely get you arrested, but it would be a great move!